The 3D Printed Electric Motorcycle.
One Italian manufacturing company is using 3D printing techniques to create art, satellites and even an electric motorcycle. In Modena, the homeland of the Italian Motor Valley, the first Italian electric motorcycle Energica Ego has been created. It has been built with F1 technologies.
Using selective laser sintering technology and Windform, a polyamide-based material reinforced with carbon fibers, CRP Group is able to create fairings, headlight covers and motorcycle components apart from the mechanical and electrical parts. The Windform line is resistant to water, oils and stress, and this allows for the creation of highly-functional and beautifully finished parts suitable for multiple applications.
The laser selectively fuses powdered material by scanning cross-sections, generated from a 3D digital file’s description of the part, on to the surface of a powder bed. After each cross-section is scanned, the powder bed is lowered by one indexed layer thickness, then a new layer of material is applied on top, and the process is repeated until the part is completed. The 3D printed prototypes and functional parts were then metallized and painted.
Energica Ego is the first Italian electric motorcycle that recalls traditional endothermal motorcycles that can reach 240km/h and can ride up to 150 km. The batteries charge takes less than three hours with AC and a half an hour with DC. Energica Ego is also equipped with a KERS braking system that allows it to recover useful energy for use by the motorcycle like F1 cars. Several patents have been registered for this project which is unique in its class.
Finally, the CRP Group will bring to the market a version of the Energica Ego without fairing. This model is built with 3D printing and Windform materials. This prototype is in the study and research phase to check the design, the aerodynamic and the specifications, and will make its debut soon.
I’m sure Elon Musk will love it too.
334 Notes/ Hide
- thatoneattackonhetalia reblogged this from uberentrepreneurs
- thatoneattackonhetalia likes this
- nature-of-reality reblogged this from science-junkie
- evangelionwillneverend likes this
- aarix-qketzx likes this
- officialkasai reblogged this from uberentrepreneurs
- officialkasai likes this
- rosetylercoloredglasses reblogged this from science-junkie
- jordanacosta24 likes this
- nkrivosh likes this
- kilamabe likes this
- dirk117 reblogged this from science-junkie
- sci-bsiokbe reblogged this from science-junkie
- gurjitgill reblogged this from science-junkie
- rahnum likes this
- its-nadia-tabler-world reblogged this from uberentrepreneurs
- gorillahulk17 likes this
- cool6mo reblogged this from science-junkie
- thesouban likes this
- house-of-scatha reblogged this from science-junkie
- house-of-scatha likes this
- jaiderbecerra likes this
- oneofthecurious likes this
- loyaltycard likes this
- joerose8 likes this
- travelry likes this
- orangestatic reblogged this from science-junkie and added:
- whatinthenameofmerlinspants likes this
- mangamasta27 likes this
- howieco21 likes this
- helenelegendary likes this
- zergee101 likes this
- daydrmz likes this
- escapingcairo reblogged this from science-junkie
- supergayboy9000 reblogged this from science-junkie
- stephen-young2 reblogged this from science-junkie
- fleshy7 likes this
- pineapplejelly5 likes this
- kammartinez reblogged this from science-junkie
- shychemist likes this
- square-pegs-in-round-holes reblogged this from thecraftychemist
- tsuro-19 reblogged this from science-junkie
- thecraftychemist reblogged this from cientistadasgalaxias
- andysmerdon likes this
- nuvano reblogged this from science-junkie
- thegamejustgotmorefierce reblogged this from science-junkie
- noddinoff likes this
- bellinora likes this
- breakingthefloooooooor likes this